Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
This recipe can also be done one of two ways, you can use Grazin’ Beef Farm Chuck Roast or Stew Meat. Either one will work. If time allows, I recommend using the low setting on your slow cooker. When cooking grass-fed beef, always use the low setting if you are able and usually cook it to the longer part of the time frame like 7-9 hrs usually requires the full 9hrs. Low and slow wins the race.
Perfect time to try this recipe so give it a shot!
- ½ onion, chopped fine
- 2 bell peppers chopped 1-inch pieces (1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3lbs Grazin' Beef Farm chuck-eye roast, pulled apart at seams, trimmed, and cut into 1½-inch pieces. Or 2 lbs Grazin' Beef Farm Stew Meat
- Salt and pepper
- ½ head cabbage, cored and sliced thin (6 cups)
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded, and sliced thin
- ½ cup lime juice (2 limes), plus lime wedges for serving
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 - 18 (6-inch) corn tortillas,warmed
- crumbled queso fresco
- Microwave onion, anchos, garlic, tomato paste, oil, chipotle, and cinnamon in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker. Stir in water and honey. Season beef with salt and pepper and stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook until beef is tender, 7 to 8 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high.
- Combine cabbage, carrot, jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro, and ½ teaspoon salt in large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer beef to another large bowl. Using potato masher, smash beef until coarsely shredded. Or use 2 forks to shred. Cover to keep warm.
- Process cooking liquid in blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Adjust sauce consistency with extra hot water as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss beef with 1 cup sauce. Toss slaw to recombine. Serve beef with tortillas, slaw, and queso fresco, passing lime wedges and remaining sauce separately.